That was a weird one! - Gap Logo

No one will have noticed, but this previous week GAP had a new logo and my word what an eyesore. As Reflection Art's resident logo expert I want to give my opinions, rather than have the media speculate on what a good logo should feature and when you should or should not rebrand!


So what is wrong with the new gap logo?
Lets have a look at it -
It's here!


My initial thought is what on earth is that small blue box and why is it fading?
And more to the point, why such a hideous font? It looks like the designers have tried to copy every high street brand and give a modern.. "swing" to things with the fading blue box. I don't know who designed the logo, but I don't think whoever did it, thought this through very well.


This brings the question to mind: When should a company get a new look?
Sometimes, never is a good answer to that question, but, some designs go down with age, for example, the BT Piper logo. The logo itself was adored and recognised by many, but when the 90's ended something had to be changed.

In the case of GAP my advice to them would be don't completely change your logo if you want a new look then slightly edit your current logo - Do a google and add drop shadow! Something small will go a long way.


I'm going to try my hand at a new GAP logo now, just for fun!

Edit: I've made an attempt (a quick attempt!) at a logo, it's not the best nor is it a proper finished design but hey! lets see if my half finished design gets better feedback.



I know what your thinking "that looks like the current/old/new/whatever the logo is now logo", yes, that's the point, keep it simple, keep it fresh but keep it recognisable. 

Until next time!
@thisrbmatt

No comments:

Post a Comment